Sunday, October 6, 2013

I Miss You Already

It was little more than a year ago that I was flying back home from somewhere. As I was waiting in Phoenix to catch the puddle jumper plane back to Yuma, a man walked by.  He looked really familiar. I was pretty sure that he was from my ward in Yuma. Over the past few years, I had become very introverted, especially at church.  I wasn't planning on talking to him.  Truth be told, I was hoping he wouldn't notice me.

He came up to me and asked if I was Brother Love. I told him that I was and asked what his name was.  He said his name was Jack.  I told him that I recognized him from my ward.  We started to talk. The seating in the waiting area was full and so we sat around the corner.  We started talking about what brought us to Yuma. It was a great conversation. It was so good that we didn't even notice that they had called our flight... three times. They were just about ready to shut the doors when we heard the last call and scrambled to the door before it was too late.

A few weeks later, Jack asked if I wanted to watch the last Batman movie with him. It was the beginning of a great friendship.

Over the years, I have had some painful experiences with people whom I trusted. As a result, I have been less and less willing to be vulnerable with anyone.  The result is a double edged sword. One side allows me to not be hurt because I don't let anyone in.  The other side is that I felt exceptionally lonely. I needed friends who I could hang out with and share things with. But I wasn't willing to open up... AT ALL.

I realized that I needed to be willing to be more open, but at the same time I wasn't willing to try.  And then Jack came over to me in the Phoenix airport, I thought I would give it a shot.

Jack loves golf.  I had never played a day in my life (unless of course you count miniature golf).  My wife had bought me golf clubs two Christmas's ago and they have sat in my garage ever since.  Jack invited  me to play a round with him.  He has a knack for getting someone to do something outside of his comfort zone.  He was patient with me as he taught me how to swing the clubs and understand the game. It was a most amazing day for me.  It healed a part of me that has been wounded for a very long time.

Jack and I started talking about our passions and desires. We both like to write.  We decided to start a blog together.  This is it.  Jack is the other geek dad.

Since that time, Jack and I have spent a lot of time together. We have grown to be great friends.  My relationship with him has been healing  in so many ways. I believe him to be one of my closest friends.

Last Monday, Jack moved to out of town for a new job opportunity. It was only been a week and I miss him already. I just wanted to publicly share my appreciation for you, Jack.  I appreciate your authenticity. I appreciate your deep desire to be the best father you can be and the example that you set as you interact with your family.  I am so grateful for your testimony and your reaching to be a better man - physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  I appreciate your kindness and that you see good in me.

Thank you, Jack, for being willing to come talk to me at the airport.  I am so glad you did.  It was one of those life changing moments... and it has truly changed my life.

I think of this Irish Blessing:
May the Road Rise up to meet you
May the wind be ever at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall softly on your fields.

And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

May there always be angels to watch over you
To guide you each step of the way
To bless you and keep you safe from all harm
And may you need never to banish misfortune
May you find kindness in all that you meet

Thank you, Jack, for being my friend. I will always be your friend.  God be with you.

- Troy



No comments:

Post a Comment